These little pot pies are one my favorite hearty meals to serve up during the fall and winter. Tender, dark meat chicken is thrown together in a creamy sauce with rosemary, shiitake mushrooms, and celery root and topped with a flakey round of puff pastry.
If you’d like to skip a step, you can use a shredded rotisserie chicken instead of cooking chicken thighs.
Make the filling ahead of time if you like, it’s even better once its sat in the fridge for a day and the flavors have deepened. Just heat the chicken filling mixture in the mini pie dishes in the oven until heated through, then top with the cooked pastry rounds.
These pot pies can be made as minis or as one big pie.
Find the MINI PIE DISHES HERE!
More Savory Pies:
Chicken, Mushroom, & Rosemary Pot Pies
Recipe type: Entree
Serves: serves 8
- 8 Chicken Thighs, bone-in
- 4 Cup Chicken Broth
- 1 sprig Thyme
- 1 sprig Rosemary
- 4 T. Butter
- 1 Red Onion, diced(large)
- 1 large Celery Root, cut into ½” cubes
- 4 stalks Celery, sliced
- 1 lb. Mushrooms, cut in half and then thickly sliced
- 1 T. chopped Fresh Rosemary
- 1 T. chopped Fresh Thyme
- ⅓ Cup Flour
- 3 Cup Chicken Broth(reserved from cooking juices)
- ½ Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 package frozen Puff Pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
- FOR THE CHICKEN:
- Place the chicken thighs, chicken broth, thyme and rosemary sprigs in a crock pot and cook on high for 4 hours.
- Allow to cool slightly and then remove the bones and cartilage.
- Shred the chicken just slightly and set aside.
- Strain the broth in the base of the crock pot and set aside as well.
- FOR THE FILLING:
- Melt the butter in a large stock pot over medium/high heat. Add the onion, celery root, and celery , along with a pinch or two of coarse salt, and sauté 4-5 minutes, or until the vegetables begin to soften. Reduce heat to medium if the vegetables brown too quickly(however a little color development is fine!).
- Add the chopped herbs and mushrooms to the vegetables and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Add the flour to the vegetables, stirring to coat and allow to cook for 1 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of the reserved chicken broth to the vegetables and stir well until it thickens and the sauce is smooth. Add the remaining 2 cups of broth and stir until combined and smooth. Allow the filling to simmer for 5-7 minutes, stirring constantly, until the vegetables are very tender.
- Add the cream to the filling. Check the seasonings and add more salt and pepper as needed.
- Add the chicken into the filling and stir very gently, evenly distributing the chicken through the sauce (don't stir too much or the chicken will shred into strings). Keep warm.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut four large circles out of each sheet of puff pastry for a total of eight puff pastry circles and place on the baking sheet, leaving an inch of space in between each circle.
- Brush the tops of the puff pastry circles with the beaten egg and bake in the preheated oven for 9 to 10 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown on top.
- Fill Mini Classic Pie Dishes(see post for link) with the chicken mushroom filling and top each dish with a puff pastry circle.