This Cinnamon Caramel Apple Crumble is the perfect dessert for these shortening days and quickly dropping temperatures.
Apples are coated in cinnamon and cornstarch(to keep the apple juices nice and thick), then drizzled with caramel sauce and topped with a buttery crumble.
You can make this dish as easy or as complicated as you want by choosing to use a bottled caramel sauce for making your own. I prefer to use Granny Smith apples or Honeycrisp, as the tart flesh pairs better with all of the added sweetness.
Keeping the crumble covered for the first portion of cooking keeps the crumble from burning while allowing the apples to cook fully.
Top with vanilla ice cream for the best version of this dessert 🙂
Cinnamon Caramel Apple Crumble
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: Serves 8-12
- 5 large honeycrisp apples
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon, divided
- 1 cup caramel sauce(homemade or store bought)
- 1 cup All purpose flour
- ¾ cup Brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 8 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- ⅓ cup Rolled oats
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees f. Coat a deep, 9” pie dish or other oven-proof vessel with butter.
- Peel the apples, core, and cut into ½” slices. Place in a large mixing bowl and add the cornstarch and 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon. Toss to coat the apples evenly.
- Place the coated apple slices in the prepared pie dish, arranging to fit slices tightly.
- Drizzle the caramel sauce evenly over the top of the apples.
- In another mixing bowl, add the flour, brown sugar, oats, and remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Stir until combined.
- Pour the melted butter over the mixture and stir in with a fork until crumbly.
- Sprinkle the crumble mixture evenly over the apples. Cover the pie dish with tin foil and bake until the preheated oven for 35 minutes - remove the tin foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes. Crumble should be golden brown on top and the caramel sauce should be thick and bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Serve warm with scoops of vanilla ice cream.