This strawberries and cream layer cake features tender slices of fragrant vanilla cake layered with sweetened cream and fresh strawberries. Easy to make, and simple to assemble. Switch out the berries for any fruit you like!
Components can be made ahead of time, but for best results, assemble the Cake within an hour of serving and keep chilled!
Strawberries & Cream Layer Cake
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: Serves 8-12
- FOR THE CAKE:
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup melted coconut oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cups whole milk
- TO TOP:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups strawberries, stems removed, cut into quarters
- FOR THE CAKE:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Grease and flour two 6” cake pans(3-4” deep).
- Place the sugar, coconut oil, eggs, and vanilla In a large mixing bowl and beat until incorporated.
- Add the sour cream and beat until combined.
- In a separate bowl, add the flour, baking powder and salt and whisk until combined.
- Add half the dry ingredients to the batter, along with half of the milk and mix until just combined.
- Repeat with the remaining dry ingredients and milk, mixing until just combined and taking care to not overmix.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared baking pans and tap each on the counter before placing in the oven.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 23 to 28 minutes. Cakes are done when a tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool cakes and remove from pans. Let cakes cool completely before assembling the cake with the whipped cream and strawberries.
- TO ASSEMBLE:
- Place the heavy whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixture until stiff peaks form.
- Cut each cooled cake layer in half horizontally.
- This will leave you with 4 cake layers.
- Place one cake layer on a plate or serving platter and top with one quarter of the whipped cream. Spread to the outer edges evenly and press ¼ of the strawberries into the cream.
- Place another cake layer on top and repeat the process until the cake is fully assembled. Add extra whole strawberries and flowers on top if you like.
- Store cake in an airtight container in the refrigerator.