*This Coconut Milk Chocolate Ice Cream is dairy-free, refined sugar-free, and vegan.
This From-Scratch Coconut Milk Chocolate Ice Cream ended up being my husbands favorite treat this summer. Since we don’t do much dairy there hasn’t been a lot of ice cream consumption going on at our house this year. That changed once this magical diary and refined sugar free frozen bowl of wonder made its appearance. Oh! Did I mention that it’s 6 ingredients?! Yeah. It has 6 ingredients.
Coconut milk(only use full fat!), maple syrup, salt, vanilla, cocoa powder, and arrowroot starch, that’s it! The arrowroot starch does what eggs do in a traditional custard-based ice cream. It thickens the ice cream up and makes it creamy. If you can’t find arrowroot starch you can use cornstarch in it’s place. If you’re feeling really adventurous, you could always try making your own coconut milk to use in this ice cream. You do need to use an ice cream maker to make this – I’ve not tried to make a no-churn version so I’m not sure how that would turn out, but let me know if you figure it out! I’ll link the ice cream maker I use below the next photo.
Now get making yo-self some homemade dairy free, refined sugar free, and vegan ice cream! Summer’s almost over, friends!
ITEMS USED TO MAKE THIS ICE CREAM:
- 2 cans(about 3⅓ cups) Coconut Milk, full fat
- ½ cup Maple Syrup
- ⅓ cup Cocoa Powder(or raw cacao powder)
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla
- 1½ tablespoons Arrowroot Starch
- Freeze Ice cream maker bowl(make sure it's been in the freezer for a full day before using).
- Set ½ cup of coconut milk aside.
- Pour the remaining coconut milk into a saucepan. Whisk in the maple syrup, salt, and cocoa powder into the coconut milk.
- Heat the mixture over medium/high heat just until steaming.
- Add the arrowroot powder to the ½ cup of coconut milk that you set aside. Whisk until powder is completely dissolved into the milk.
- Pour the starch/milk mixture into the hot coconut milk while whisking constantly. Heat just until the mixture thickens slightly(another 3-4 minutes).
- Remove from heat and whisk in the vanilla.
- Pour the mixture into a heat proof container and press a sheet of plastic wrap over the top of the mixture(this will prevent a skin from forming). Chill overnight or for at least 4-5 hours.
- Once the mixture is fully chilled, freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer instructions.
- Once frozen to soft-serve consistency, scoop into a freezer safe container, cover, and freeze for at least 4 hours.
- When ready to serve, set out on the counter for 10-15 minutes to allow the ice cream time to soften slightly.
- Scoop ice cream into bowls.
Recipe lightly adapted from Thekitchn.
Sandy Noto says
These look absolutely delicious and the photos are so stunning!