*These Chewy Chocolate Chip Macadamia Cookie Bars are gluten and grain free, paleo friendly, egg and refined sugar free.
Oh these bars. I made them three times last week. One of those times I even shared with everyone. I don’t know that anything hits that snacky sweet spot like a chewy cookie bar that is studded with chocolate chips and crunchy macadamia nuts. These babies are made with almond flour and get a chewy texture from the gelatin that binds them(sorry eggs, maybe next time). They are sweetened with coconut palm sugar and applesauce and once cooked, they are drizzled with more melted chocolate and a sprinkling of sea salt, for good measure.
These bars are quick and easy to whip up and so nice(or maybe not) to have around for snacks or dessert. I make them in a food processor, but you could make them in a bowl with a whisk, if you wanted to put a bit more elbow grease in. My favorite part of these bars? The browned butter. You all know I’m a browned butter junky. But I just can’t help it. The add so much to these bars(and everything!) and make such a difference in the depth of flavor. If you wanted to make these bars dairy free you could substitute the browned butter for melted coconut oil.
These bars, just like any cookie bar, are good warm while the chocolate is still melty. Honestly, I love them most the next day when the chocolate has set and firmed up again. The only problem is having any of them make it to the next day uneaten……
ITEMS USED TO MAKE THESE BARS:
- 2 cups Almond Flour
- 1 tablespoon Tapioca Starch
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 2 tablespoons Grass-fed Gelatin
- ½ cup Coconut Palm Sugar
- ¼ cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- 2 tablespoons Nut Milk
- ¼ cup Grass-fed Butter, browned and cooled
- ½ cup Macadamia nuts, roughly chopped
- ½ cup Dark Chocolate chip(use dairy free brand if needed)
- Melted chocolate, for drizzling on top
- Coarse Sea Salt, to sprinkle on top
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper(so that it covers the bottoms and sides of the pan). Place the almond flour, tapioca starch, salt, baking soda, baking powder, gelatin, coconut sugar, applesauce, milk, and browned butter in the bowl of a food processor. Process until the mixture comes together to form a smooth dough.
- Remove the blade from the processor and fold in the macadamia nuts and chocolate chips.
- Spoon the dough into the prepared pan and press it evenly over the bottom.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the bars are golden brown on top and cooked through.
- Remove and let cool completely in the pan.
- Remove by lifting the edges of the parchment paper. Cut into 12-16 squares, depending on how large you want them. Store in an airtight container.