*These Chewy Chocolate Chia Hemp Heart Bars are dairy-free, gluten-free, refined sugar-free, vegan, paleo friendly & make a decadent, delicious snack!
Back in May I presented at a food blogging conference. In between classes there were always all sorts of snacks available on tables outside of the theaters where classes were held. I remember vividly one such snack time – the snack time where there were piles of some sort of chocolate hemp seed bar. I believe they were made by Manitoba Harvest. And they were delicious. It was the first time I had ever tried a hemp heart (the inside of a hemp seed), and I was hooked. I swore that when I got home I would find a way to recreate that bar.
And I did.
Pictures continued below recipe.
- 3 tablespoons Brown Rice Syrup
- 4 tablespoons Coconut Palm Sugar
- 1½ tablespoons Coconut Oil, divided
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons Raw Cacao Powder (or cocoa powder)
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons Hemp Hearts (plus more for garnish)
- 2½ tablespoons Ground Chia Seed/Chia seed meal (white or black)
- 2 tablespoons Unsweetened Chocolate, chopped into very small pieces
- ⅓ cup Chocolate Chips (naturally sweetened, preferably dark)
- Place the brown rice syrup, coconut palm sugar, 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil (reserve the other ½ tablespoon for the chocolate drizzle), salt, and cacao powder in a small saucepan. Whisk together and place the pan on medium heat, whisking occasionally until the coconut palm sugar is dissolved and mixture is just bubbling. Remove from heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss together the hemp hearts and chia meal. Pour the sugar mixture over the seeds and mix with a wooden spoon until a stiff dough forms. Let cool for about 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped bittersweet chocolate to the dough (you may want to coat your hands in a little coconut oil) and carefully knead the chocolate pieces into the dough, trying to evenly distribute them.
- Line a large loaf pan with parchment paper. Press the dough down into the lined pan, pressing to make the top smooth and even.
- Place in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- While the bars are freezing, place the chocolate chips and remaining ½ tablespoon of coconut oil in a small saucepan. Heat on medium, stirring constantly, until the chocolate melts and is smooth. Remove from heat.
- Remove the bars from the freezer and lift out of the loaf pan by holding the edges of the parchment paper. Place on a work surface and lightly coat a sharp chefs knife with coconut oil.
- Cut the sheet into 8-10 rectangular bars.
- Place the bars on a sheet of parchment paper or over a cooling rack.
- Use a fork or spoon to drizzle the melted chocolate over the bars.
- While the chocolate is still melted, sprinkle hemp hearts down the center of each bar.
- Place in the fridge and let firm up for at least 30 minutes.
- Can be stored in the fridge or at room temperature for up to a week (several weeks in the fridge).