I make ice cream a lot.
Like, several times a week A LOT.
Of all the many flavors I’ve gone through, this one remains my favorite. My one true ice cream love.
Fresh Lemon Ice Cream
I know, it may sound a bit boring and overly simplistic, but there is something so refreshingly satisfying about it. I really love the contrast between the tang of the fresh lemon juice and the creamy custard base.
I add 2 lemons worth of juice to the ice cream base and find it to be perfect, but taste the mix as you make it and add more or less lemon juice according to your preference.
Make sure to plan a little bit ahead when making this ice cream, as it has a cooked base and will need to chill for several hours before it’s ready to go into the ice cream maker.
More Ice Cream?
Roasted Blueberry Balsamic Goats Cheese Ice Cream
Broiled Citrus Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- 1½ cups Whole Milk, separated
- 1 cup Sugar
- Pinch of Salt
- 4 Egg Yolks
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla
- Juice of 2 Lemons
- 1½ cups Heavy Cream
- Whisk the egg yolks together in a small bowl.
- Heat 1 cup of the milk with 1 cup of sugar and a pinch of salt in a small pan until the sugar dissolves and milk is steaming. Whisk about ¼ of the milk into the egg yolks, then pour the egg yolks into the saucepan, whisking constantly. Bring just to a boil while whisking constantly and remove from heat. Pour custard into a bowl and whisk in remaining ½ cup milk, vanilla, lemon juice, and the heavy cream.
- Refrigerate until fully chilled. Pour mixture into the base of an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer instructions.
- Scoop frozen ice cream into an airtight container and freeze for an additional 3-4 hours.
- Let sit at room temperature for 5 minutes before scooping.
Luv this ice cream and how you’ve presented it – so bright, fresh and spring! On my list of “makes” when we have more lemons on the tree – pinning in the meantime. 🙂
Sarah @ SnixyKitchen says
You DO make ice cream a lot and you should never stop! Your ice cream always looks the prettiest – these photos inspire me! And it looks like the smoothest creamiest lemon ice cream ever!
Thank so much, Sarah! This one is a fav!
This looks delicious. will have to try it.
where did you get the glasses? They are so nice, I’ve been looking for them.
Maybe you can write in your recipes where you bought certain kitchen items and dishes, etc.,