I’ve gone through quite a bit of butter and sugar lately, trying to find a good recipe for pound cake. Once with a dense texture that it still light, and not chewy. I finally found the perfect recipe and decided to flavor it with a little bit of orange oil and pair it with one of my favorite ice creams of all time.
This recipe uses both butter and cream cheese, which makes all the difference. The cream cheese gives the cake a tiny bit of tang. You’ll notice that the recipe has you baking the cake for the first 10 minutes at 425, then reducing the heat to 350 for the duration of it’s cook time. This gives the top of the cake a nice, puffy domed look, and keeps the inside of the cake light, yet dense. In other words, just perfect. Just don’t forget to turn the heat down after the initial 10 minutes or you will have a burnt outside!
This cake cuts beautifully and can be used for many different desserts. If you want to get a little fancy, serve it trifle style, layered in a glass with scoops of ice cream, berries, thyme sprigs, and a drizzle of honey.
Or just eat it on it’s own.
- 4 oz. Cream Cheese, softened
- 8 oz.(2 sticks) Butter, softened
- ½ Cup Sour Cream
- 1⅓ Cups Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 4 Drops Orange Oil(food grade)
- 4 lg. Eggs
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 4 tablespoons Cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 recipe Broiled Citrus Ice Cream
- Preheat the oven to 425° F. Grease a large, non-stick loaf pan. If it is not non-stick, grease and flour it.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Place butter in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat until light and creamy.
- Add the cream cheese and beat until well combined.
- Add sour cream and beat in well.
- Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in the vanilla and orange oil.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix in until just combined.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, reduce the heat to 350 degrees. Bake for another 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then remove and cool on a wire rack.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Slice and serve with scoops of Broiled Citrus Ice Cream.
Pound Cake recipe adapted from Easy Cake Recipes.
June Burns says
Pound cake with ice cream is always awesome! Love this flavor combination, broiled citrus ice cream sounds really good 🙂
Eden Passante says
Wow! Everything about this sounds amazing! What a great Summer recipe!
Thank you Eden!