Black box is my favorite way to creatively get rid of food that needs to be used up.
I used to work at an eating disorder treatment center as the head of the culinary department where I would teach weekly cooking classes to the clients. This was one of my favorite things to throw on them. I would gather all the items I had in the kitchen that needed to be used, set them on the counter and set them to the task of creating a meal using every ingredient there.
Always so much fun and they often came up with great results!
I still like to do it myself when the need arises, so, without further ado, today’s participants are………
- Pork chops that have been in my freezer forever.
- Granny Smith apples that are getting quite old.
- Rosemary left over from the Rigatoni Alla Amatricana.
- Red onion left over from the Mediterranean Pizza.
- Balsamic vinegar, which I have bought too many bottles of.
- An extra container of sour cream. I go through a lot of ranch dip, people.
- Slowly aging sweet potatoes.
Check back later for the results of today’s black box! let’s hope it’s edible…(just kidding! This is a pretty good group of ingredients.)
What do you make with your leftover food?