The end of winter means that it’s time to leave behind the heavy, rich desserts of the season and make way for light, bright desserts of spring and summer.
Actually, I have no intention of leaving behind those heavy and rich winter desserts(love you guys!) but I am excited for all the warm weather flavors to make their way in.
Like this lemon curd mousse. Doesn’t it just scream SPRING!!? It’s light, it’s airy, it’s sweet, it’s tangy. The creamy lemon mousse is made even more delicious by sitting on top of a layer of bright yellow lemon curd. Berries go oh so well on top of the whipped cream that caps the dessert. I used blueberries, but any berry would be great.
This is a great ‘make ahead’ dessert. The lemon curd can even be made days ahead of time. Stay tuned for another fun dessert using this mousse!
- 1¼ C. Sugar
- 2 t. Cornstarch
- 2 large Eggs
- 2 large Egg Yolks
- ½ C. Fresh Lemon Juice
- 6 T. Butter, cut into cubes
- ½ pint Heavy Whipping Cream
- 6 T. Blueberries
- Mint leaves, for garnish
- Place the sugar and the cornstarch in a large saucepan and whisk together.
- Add the 2 eggs and 2 egg yolks to the sugar and whisk well.
- Add the lemon juice to the mixture and blend well.
- Add the cubed butter to the mixture and place over medium heat. Whisk constantly until the butter has melted and the mixture thickens and boils, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a medium bowl.
- Press plastic wrap into the top of the curd to prevent a skin from forming. Chill until cold( at least 2-3 hours).
- Whip the heavy cream until it holds stiff peaks. reserve 6 T. of the whipped cream for topping.
- Gently fold ½ of the chilled lemon curd into the whipped cream. Place mousse in a piping bag.
- Divide the remaining lemon curd among 6 smaller serving dishes or jars, spreading evenly over the bottom of each dish.
- Pipe the lemon mousse on top of the lemon curd, dividing evenly amount each dish.
- Top each dish of mousse with about 1 T. of the reserved whipped cream.
- Place about 1 T. of blueberries on top of each whipped cream dollop.
- Garnish each dish with a mint leaf.
- Serve chilled.