It seems that peppermint has such a small window of time to make it’s appearance each year. While mint is around all year long, peppermint gets, well, December. So I figure I’d better make the most of it.
These Dark Chocolate Peppermint Pots de Creme take full advantage of the peppermint season(I’ve just decided that’s a thing) by starting with a layer of dark chocolate peppermint pudding that is ridiculously rich, topped with another layer that is lightened up slightly with a little cream cheese, and then topped with thick whipped cream, crushed candy canes, and a little peppermint meringue kiss.
These were a big hit with not only my husband, but my children as well. I take that as a good sign because sometimes they feel that my desserts are a little too ‘adult’ for them and ask for something a little more simple instead. But not these. Although they did fight over who had more cream on top, which, in my opinion, is an understandable reason for contention.
You don’t have to buy crushed candy cane(which yes, they do really sell). Just throw a cheap box of candy canes in a ziploc bag, grab a mallot and go to town. Candy cane crushing is quite fun. Or you can throw the candy canes in a food processor and crush them that way, but I think the mallot method is more fun.
Want a little more peppermint in your life?
- 2 C. Heavy Cream
- ½ C. Whole Milk
- 7 oz. Dark Chocolate(preferably 60% cacao or higher)
- 6 Egg Yolks
- ½ C. Sugar
- 1 t. Vanilla, divided
- 6 drops Peppermint Oil, divided
- ¼ C. Sour Cream
- 2 oz. Cream Cheese, softened
- 1½ C. Lightly Sweetened Whipped Cream
- Crushed Candy Canes
- Peppermint Meringue Kisses, to top
- Place the cream and milk in a saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Remove from the heat and add the chocolate, whisking in until melted and well blended.
- In another bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until blended and creamy. Pour the chocolate cream mixture slowly into the egg mixture, whisking constantly until fully incorporated.
- Pour half of the mixture back into the saucepan. Slowly heat the mixture on medium heat, stirring constantly until just thickened. Remove from heat and stir in ½ teaspoon of the vanilla and three drops of peppermint oil.
- Divide the mixture between 6-8 dishes(6 ramekins or 8 smaller containers) and tap the pudding down to level. Refrigerate.
- Add the other remaining half of the chocolate mixture to the same saucepan, adding the sour cream and cream cheese as well. Slowly heat on medium, whisking constantly, until the mixture is smooth, blended and just thickened. Remove and whisk in the other ½ teaspoon vanilla and three drops peppermint oil.
- Divide evenly between ramekins, tap to level, and chill.
- When cold, pipe a dallop of whipped cream on top of each pot de creme and coat the cream with crushed candy canes.
- Top each dessert with a peppermint meringue kiss.