Sometimes my desserts come together as a result of leftover components of a few different dishes.
GINGERSNAP BLUEBERRY MANGO ICE CREAM SANDWICHES
I had a container of homemade mango sorbet in the freezer.
Also in the freezer, I had about a cup of leftover blueberry filling from these blueberry hand pies.
So I thought, lets pair them with some spicy, soft gingersnap cookies and call it an ice cream sandwich. A specialty ice cream sandwich.
Believe it or not, all of these flavors pair beautifully together:
Smooth, fruity mango sorbet, tart-sweet, lightly spiced, saucy blueberries, and soft, chewy, zingy gingersnaps.
It works and it works well.
I’m a fan of unique ice cream sandwiches(see HERE and HERE for proof) and these definitely fit the bill without being too bizarre. I mean, who doesn’t love a chewy gingersnap cookie? Too be honest, I have a hard time even saving them for something else, I love them so.
But I can do it for these.
KITCHEN HACK OF THE DAY:
For easy to assemble ice cream sandwiches that don’t start melting before you’ve even had a bite:
Tear off a long sheet of plastic wrap or two and lay it over a muffin tin so that the wrap hangs off of the tin by at least 3″ all the way around. lightly press the wrap into each well. Place a scoop of mango sorbet in each well and top each scoop with 1 T. of blueberry filling. Press into the well with the back of a spoon so that it forms a disk shape.
Freeze until very solid.
When you are ready to assemble the sandwiches, just pop the sorbet disks out of the tin pulling them away from the plastic wrap and sandwich in between two cookies.
- Place the sugar and water in a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Pour the syrup into a blender and add the lemon juice along with the mangos(peeled and sliced). Puree until very smooth. Run the puree through a fine mesh sieve to remove any fibers from the mango. Refrigerate until cold.
- Freeze according to manufacturer instructions.When frozen, place in an airtight container and freeze until solid.
- Place blueberry filling in the freezer as well.
- To assemble sandwiches:
- Pull out the sorbet and let soften for 5-10 minutes.
- Place a scoop of mango sorbet on top of a gingersnap cookie. Place 1 T. of blueberry filling on top of the sorbet and press another gingersnap cookie on top of that. Serve immediately.