This is the most amazingly flavorful bowl of comfort I have had in quite a while.
Every single component is full of seasoning.
What I love most?
This can really be a pretty healthy meal as long as you stick with using coconut oil, coconut palm sugar, and brown rice.
You can use other alternatives for those items, if you want, as well. It will still taste amazing 😉
Serves 4-8 depending on how big your servings are! Personally I would plan on the 4.
- 6 large chicken thighs, skinned(boneless, if you prefer)
- ¾ C. Salsa
- ¾ C. Brown Sugar(I use Coconut Palm Sugar as a healthier alternative)
- 1½ C. Dry Pinto Beans
- 4½ C. Water
- 4½ C. Chicken Broth
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced, divided
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 2 C. Brown Rice
- 1 Lime, juiced
- 2 T. Cilantro, chopped
- 1 T. Coconut Oil
- 1 t. Kosher Salt
- 1 Sweet Onion, sliced
- 2 Zucchini, cut into sticks(2"x1/2")
- 2 t. Coconut Oil
- ½ t. Kosher Salt
- ½ t. Cumin
- Cilantro, for topping
- 1 Avocado, sliced
- Shredded cheese, for topping
- Creamy Cilantro Lime Dressing
- Place the chicken thighs in a crock pot. Top with the salsa and the brown sugar and cook on high for 4 hours, or until the chicken falls off the bone. Allow the chicken to cool slightly and then remove the bones and cartilage. Toss the chicken in the sauce and keep warm in the crockpot until service.
- Start the pinto beans 4 hours before you serve them. Rinse the pinto beans and place in a stock pot. Cover the beans with 4 C. of water. Bring the beans to a boil and allow to boil for 2 minutes. Cover the pot, turn off the heat, and allow the beans to soak for 2 hours. After 2 hours, drain the water from the beans and place them back in the pot. Cover the beans with the chicken stock. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a gentle simmer. Cook, covered, for 1½ hours, or until the beans are tender, stirring occasionally. Add ⅔ of the minced garlic to the beans, along with kosher salt. Cook the beans until most of the liquid is absorbed and they become a bit "saucy". Check the seasonings and add salt to taste. Keep warm for service.
- I like to make my rice in a rice cooker. Place your brown rice in your rice cooker and add the appropriate amount of water(check your manual, it varies between models). Add the coconut oil, chopped cilantro, lime juice, and 1 t. salt to the rice and give a quick stir. Cook on the brown rice setting. When finished cooking, stir well and keep warm for service.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place the onion, zucchini, 2 t. Coconut Oil, Cumin, and ½ t. salt in a ziploc bag. Toss until the vegetables are evenly coated. Place Veggies on a baking sheet and roast on the top rack for about 15 minutes. Keep warm for service.
- To assemble: Scoop rice into a bowl and top with beans. Top beans with chicken and roasted vegetables. Top with any other desired toppings like avocado, cheese, cilantro, and Creamy Cilantro Lime Dressing.